Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Whole Roasted Chicken - NBD

I now make this almost every time we have dinner guests. It looks pretty and really says "You've been invited to Dinner." This should feed about 7 people and it is really quite easy.

It takes me 5-10 minutes to prep and then I can pretty much forget about it for an hour and half. I've created this process based on reading multiple roast chicken recipes, they are all very similar, and then doing like my mom taught me and disregarding lots of the instructions because... no one tells ME what to do. Needless to say, if you feel I am stealing, I probably am but by accident. That's just the nature of this bird.

FACT: chicken should be about 165 degrees when cooked. Get thee a meat thermometer. No more guessing games and subsequent angry post-serving trips to the microwave to turn the opalescent chicken muscles in to solid, edible chicken meat.

Ingredients:

1 whole chicken, thawed
1-2 lemons/oranges sliced in halfs or quarters
1 small bundle of rosemary
6 garlic cloves, or thereabouts
4-6 tablespoons of butter
olive oil
salt and pepper
any other rub you might like to try
string

Pre-heat oven to 350

1) Remove the innards
2) Pat dry
3) Salt and pepper all over
4) Stuff cavity with citrus, garlic and rosemary
5) Tie the legs together with string, this helps reduce how much steam comes out during the cooking.      The less steamy clouds emitted from the hole the better --I did that on purpose.
6) Lift the skin of the breast and slide several pats of butter in under the skin
7) Cover in olive oil
8) Cover in any rub you like or in more salt and pepper
9) Place in baking dish on top of veggies (I quarter an onion and put in a few carrots)
10) Bake for 1.5 hours (halfway through pour more oil over it)

No comments:

Post a Comment