Saturday, July 30, 2011

Karen P's Chocolate Peanut Butter Coconut Ice Cream

This creative, inspiring, sedative of an ice cream came from the kitchen of a very newly minted Mother of Three Boys.  I'm thinking at this point with my third baby I was catching on to pre-heating the oven for our frozen pizza dinners and here is this lady whipping up her own creative ice creams.

Born from her newborn's intolerance of dairy, this friend has turned to coconut milk.  Coconut milk/cream is something with which I am slowly familiarizing myself, partly thanks to another lovely lady I know who is queen of coconut as far as I am concerned.

So, that's a lot of back story, let's get on with the next thing you HAVE to make:

whisk 4 egg yolks with 1/2 cup sugar. turn on mixer to low.
add 2 cans of full fat coconut milk.  (this time i actually only had 1 1/2 cans so I snuck in some 1/2 and 1/2 cow stuff)
pour into pot, put over low heat
then I melted a 4 oz dark hazelnut chocolate bar and 1/2 cup chocolate chips, mix in to custard mixture
mixed till it got thicker and added another 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.
add 2 tbsp vanilla

when steaming but not too boil-ee, put in fridge.  let sit overnight.

poor into ice cream maker.  as that runs, mix 1 cup peanut butter with 1/2 cup powdered sugar.  5 minutes before ice cream is finished, drop peanut butter in to mixture in lumps.

No comments:

Post a Comment