Monday, December 26, 2011

Pecan Pie, the great Corn Syrup-Free hunt

Because I did a poor job of planning, and what I did plan for our Christmas meal was stuff I'd never made - ie a Pecan Pie, I fond myself Christmas morning searching for recipes without corn syrup because I didn't have any on hand.

I found a good one.  It was mostly as I remembered pecan pie of past (or at least the way my pie aficionado sister-in-law makes them back in pie country).  The only hitch was I burned the top and the inside was still too runny. I think I'll blame my oven.  My local sister-in-law saved it from certain death however by suggesting I cover it in foil for the last 10 or so minutes.

http://www.chefeddy.com/2009/10/pecan-pie-corn-syrup-free/

Pecan pie, without corn syrup

Yield: 1- 9 inch pie
3 (3) Large eggs 3
¾ Cup (6 oz) Water 180 g
1 ¾  Cup, well packed (14 oz) Medium brown sugar 420 g




½ teaspoon ( ½ tsp) Salt 2.5 g
½ Stick (2 oz) Unsalted butter 60 g












1 Tablespoon (0.5 oz) Brandy or Rum (optional) 15 ml








2 teaspoon (2 tsp) Vanilla extract 10 ml
2 Cups (8 oz) Pecan pieces 240 g








  1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
  2. Whisk together the eggs and water until very well blended. Add the brown sugar and salt. Melt the butter and add to the mixture. Add the Brandy and vanilla extract.
  3. Place the pecans in the pie shell and pour the custard filling over the pecans, the pecans will automatically float to the surface. Since nine inch pie shells vary in depth and thus volume, not all the custard filling may fit.  By not mixing the pecans into the custard filling you will possibly prevent throwing away extra custard filling containing pecans.
  4. Place in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Then reduce the temperature to 325°F (160°C) and bake until the center of the pie is set and no longer trembles when touched, about 65 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment